Departments requiring special equipment on University Fleet Management vehicles must coordinate these requirements with University Fleet Management. Approval of University Fleet Management must take place prior to any installation or commitment for installation. Departmental vehicle coordinators will arrange for special equipment on department owned vehicles. For University Fleet Management vehicles, special equipment acquisition and installation can be handled in one of the following ways:
- Purchased and installed by the University Fleet Management with all special equipment costs charged to the requesting department and rental rates remaining as published.
- Purchased and installed by University Fleet Management with the rental rate increased to recover the additional expense.
- Purchased and installed by the department. Upon termination of the lease and subsequent return of the vehicle to University Fleet Management, the vehicle will be restored to its original configuration by the user or, if the user desires, by University Fleet Management with cost of restoration charged to the department.
- Purchased and installed by University Fleet Management or the using department. Upon termination of the lease and subsequent return of the vehicle to University Fleet Management, the vehicle will be remarketed with installed equipment.
Any department having requirements for special vehicles or special equipment installed on existing rental vehicles must initiate a request in writing to University Fleet Management. Please include the following information:
- Type of vehicle (and unit number if known)
- Special equipment needed
- Suggested vendor
- Approximate cost
- Anticipated length of use
- Overall justification for purchase and use
Requests should be made as soon as possible in order to afford adequate time for approval, vehicle or special equipment procurement, and installation of the special equipment.
Note: No roof mounted devices for cargo; luggage or observation platforms are allowed without previously written authorization from University Fleet Management. Departments will be billed the entire cost of repairs from damage caused by the use of roof mounted devices.
Rental vehicles (excluding pickups) will not be used for towing without prior authorization from University Fleet Management.