Automotive Insurance and Reporting of Vehicle Accidents

Except in instances where the cost of damage repair to a University vehicle is covered by an insurance settlement or by prompt payments received from the person(s) responsible for damage, department responsibility for damage (per incident) will be limited to the following, effective for accident damage after July 1, 2017. Departments are responsible for the entire cost of repair for vehicles owned by the department, unless *physical damage insurance has been previously obtained. 

Category Department Responsibility
Fleet Management Rental Vehicle July 1, 2017 Onwards 
Department Responsibility
Fleet Management Rental Vehicle Prior to July 1, 2017
Department Responsibility
Department Owned With Physical Damage Insurance 
Windshield repair $0 $0 Cost of Repair
Windshield replacement $100 $100 *$500
Comprehensive damage (weather, animal strike, road debris, etc.) $400 $400 *$500
Dual fault crash on roadway $400 $400 *$500
Striking stationary object (parked vehicle, pole, gate, etc.)* $850, first case each fiscal year, amount increases by $200 each case thereafter $400 *$500
Crash or damage not reported $850, first case each fiscal year, amount increases by $200 each case thereafter $400 *$500

Reportable damage is defined as “minor”, “moderate”, or “severe”. Minor damage typically means scratches, scrapes or dings. Moderate damage usually means large dents in the hood, fender or door. Severe damage is very heavy damage, including broken axles, bent or twisted frames. Minor damage will be reviewed on a case by case basis to determine if a report is necessary.

Image of Vehicle with Minor Damage
Minor Damage
Image of Vehicle with Minor Damage
Minor Damage
Image of Vehicle with Moderate Damage
Moderate Damage
Image of Vehicle with Severe Damage
Severe Damage

Departments renting vehicles from University Fleet Management are responsible for the entire cost of repair or replacement for intentional vehicle abuse or misuse. 

Pre-authorization is required for all body repair or glass replacement. 

Passengers who are not University of Nebraska employees are afforded no protection under the policy and ride at their own risk. Insurance for student field trips is available for a nominal fee from the Human Resources Office of Risk Management and is required on all course field trips.

University Fleet Management provides direct bill private rentals through National or Enterprise rent-a-car with the SLP and CDW built into the rental rate. Renters should decline all insurance offerings when signing for a direct bill private rental vehicle.

When not utilizing the Big Ten contract XZ62295 with National/Enterprise Rent-a-Car, drivers should accept the SLP (Supplemental Liability Protection). The SLP provides coverage for the other parties’ property or vehicle in the event the University is found responsible. Refer to Private Rental Vehicle Insurance to determine insurance requirements. The University self-insured automotive policy provides coverage beyond the coverage afford by the SLP, and provides comprehensive damage coverage for private rental vehicles with a $500 deductible. The CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) should be accepted only when the vehicle will be operated on unimproved roads or the vehicle will be rented for one month or more. Decline all other insurance offerings from the rental car company.
*- Departments not utilizing the Big Ten contract are subject to a $500 deductible if the vehicle is damaged while on assignment to the department.

The driver involved in an accident should report the accident to the department head and local police or if, on campus, to University Police Lincoln (402) 472-2222; Omaha (402) 554-2911; Medical Center (402) 559-5555; Kearney (308) 865-8911 immediately as they can render assistance and officially inspect the scene of the accident.  

When involved in an accident:

  1. Stop immediately.
  2. Take steps to prevent another accident at the scene.
  3. If injury has occurred, call 911 for emergency assistance.
  4. Notify Police.
  5. DO NOT sign any paper or make any statement as to who was at fault (except later to your supervisor).
  6. Get name and address of each witness.
  7. State your name, address, place of employment, name of your supervisor, and upon request show your operator's license, vehicle registration, and insurance card.
  8. Secure the following information:
    1. Registration information for other vehicle(s) (owner's name, license plate number, expiration date and state, vehicle serial number)
    2. Information on other driver(s) (name, address, operator's license number and expiration date)
    3. Name and address of the company insuring other vehicle(s)
    4. Name and address of each person involved and extent of injury, if any;
    5. General information such as location, time, road condition, weather, property damage and estimated damage to other vehicles.
  9. Notify your department head immediately
  10. If the vehicle is unsafe to operate, after contacting University Fleet Management, have it towed to the nearest garage or service station. After hours, call the University operator (402)-472-7211, for connection with the proper individual.
  11. Submit a University of Nebraska accident report to University Fleet Management or fax (402) 472-8660.
    Vehicle Accident Report Forms:

In Nebraska accidents involving injury or damage in excess of $1,000.00 must be also be reported to the State Accident Records Bureau, Department of Transportation - Box 94669, Lincoln NE 68509-4669 on the accident report form provided by the State Patrol, Sheriff or local police, or available online at Note that depending on various situations, law enforcement may not be available to investigate accidents and may recommend taking pictures and exchanging driver/vehicle information. When involved in accidents outside the State of Nebraska, drivers must comply with reporting requirements for the jurisdiction where the accident occurred.

Please do not sign any papers or make any statements concerning responsibility for blame since any admission may impair Risk Managements ability to defend a case of questionable legal liability. Do not accept calls or other communication from insurance companies. Refer them to University Risk Management. Appropriate legal authority will decide fault or liability. Please complete forms and comply with instructions.